Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's been an interesting couple of days...

I think I'm coming down with a bit of a bug...I've been draggy the past couple of days. Last night I was so tired that after the CI Chat I just conked completely out. I knew I'd have a big day ahead with the job interview so I didn't even try to write anything (I have the feeling I'm about to make up for it with an overlong warned ;)). This afternoon I just about decided I was coming down with the flu, but I feel better's probably just some little bug.
By the way, I was offered the job :)! It is at a local photo processing place...and if I pass my drug test (and I am NOT worried about that) they'll tell me Friday when to start...Yahoo!! The interview was interesting...I hadn't had a job interview in 16 years and this one was tricky. They asked a bunch of "what would you do if..." and "how would you handle this situation..." kind of questions...questions that I had to THINK about, right there with someone LOOKING at me! I think I must have squeaked by on personality on several of those answers were positively dorky, I think. Oh well!
The drug testing was a pain in the keister. It took me TWO HOURS and FOUR TRIPS to the doctor's office to get it done (I'm making a very long story as short as possible!). It would have been so much easier if they would have just taken my word for it that I don't do drugs ;)!!
I've heard a LOT of neat things the past 48 hours! Yesterday I heard one of the LifeFlight helicopters flying over our house (we live about half a mile from the hospital). When we first moved into this house four years ago I heard them just fine with my hearing aid. Honestly, in the past 18 months I had forgotten about them...I haven't heard one in that long. I also heard a siren yesterday. I KNOW I heard one Sunday, but this one was while I was in the bedroom, in the house...and the ambulance was on the highway (we live three houses from the highway). I thought I heard it but Claire was sharing something long-winded so I shushed her briefly and listened..and sure enough...there it was!
Today at the interview I was in a back office and several of the employees were on computers...I could hear the clack clack of their keyboards :)
This afternoon I was about to e-mail my mom about something and I decided I'd just call her :). I got the BlackBerry and dialed and when she answered one of the first things she said was, "I think I need to sit down!" The last time I talked on the phone with any measure of success was over 18 months ago. I could understand every word she said as long as I concentrated. A couple of times my concentration slipped a bit and I missed a word or two, but that was it. We talked for ten minutes!!
The phone is something I'm really antsy about. I have always had a LOT of trouble with it...and the last few times I used it before I gave it up I could hardly hear on it at all. It was always an exercise in discouragement and frustration...I always felt like a blithering idiot by the time the conversations were done. Now, even though I think I can probably do OK, I don't want to until I know I can do it without a huge, embarrassing struggle. I know that the only way to get better at it is to practice, but I am just not ready for that yet...self-confidence issues. I am listening to a lot of things on the computer...I don't sit down at the laptop without having music, a book on CD, or SOMETHING playing (I have listened to everything from Martina McBride's 2007 "Anyway" to Tennessee Ernie Ford, ha!). Speech comprehension is still pretty good, considering that my program's maxed out...and I know it will get even better after my mapping session on Friday. I know it will all come in's just that the hearing is coming back a little faster than the self-confidence at this point :)
Tonight when I was cooking dinner I heard water boiling on the stove. You know...if I knew that boiling water made a sound, I had forgotten it. All this time I thought I was hearing pretty well with the hearing aid...but I am finding out every day how much I've been missing!
We bought our microwave last year, after my first hearing loss. I was singularly unimpressed with the timer on the thing because the beep was inaudible...I thought. I am finding out that it's pretty loud, after all!
Yesterday was a great day for me because my sweet bionic buddy Abbie FINALLY posted her activation on YouTube! I love seeing other peoples' videos, and hers was so neat to watch! Maybe it was a good thing she took so long about I can HEAR it! Her audiologist talks a good bit, and I can understand what she's saying! Check it out!

And if you want to see what I'm listening to...and loving every second of...check out this awesome Allison Krauss video. I have missed her gorgeous voice!!! It's not yet perfect....but it's very, very close...unbelievable!!!!
If things are this good now...I can't wait to see how they sound after Friday...WOW!
Good news this week: Geo has his CI surgery tomorrow (today)...and Jeff has his on Thursday! If you like CI blogs, go follow their adventures (guys, take plenty of pictures!). More incredible friend Rosemary (who doesn't blog) had her CI activated today...and she called her daughter Jen from the parking lot of her CI center!!! Another AWESOME hookup!!! YAYYYYY!!!! This is just a GREAT week!!! y'all! :)

No comments: