Quick update....

...I know I said I was going in for a new map this morning, but the weather didn't cooperate...ugh :(. I had to be there at 8 AM today and last night they were predicting snow, sleet, and freezing rain. I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't see much, but they had closed a lot of the schools around the area so I decided if it was that bad I wasn't taking chances. Southerners don't have a lot of experience with bad road conditions...I know I don't...and I don't trust everyone else out there to do better than I do...so I decided to stay home. Since my mother-in-law had my kids (I was supposed to leave early, early to get to Vanderbilt, so they spent the night with her so she could get them off to school) I went back to sleep and slept until 9 AM....awesome! I have been working so much lately and on the go when I'm off...and I needed the rest! :)
I have my mapping appointment rescheduled for Jan. 31st. I can wait one more week...I've waited this long! In the meantime, I have new listening material...one of our friends sings in a quartet and his CDs were some of the first I listened to when I was first activated. I e-mailed him and let him know how good he was sounding, and he sent me three of his CDs today as a gift!! I was so surprised and tickled....and can't wait to listen to them all! Wasn't that sweet?!??!
One of my online (non-blogging) buddies is having his CI surgery tomorrow...Ronald, if you're reading this...GOOD LUCK! And then there's Michael Chorost, who has turned his webpage into a blog (I love it...go check it out!) ...his second implant will be activated on Thursday. I can't wait to hear all about it and wish I could be there for his Two-Eared Party!!! Good luck, Mike!
I am trying my best to get down to business and learn some signs before my trip to Reno in June. I promised myself when I left OKC in June that I would know at least some signs before the 2008 convention...and while I've learned a few, I'm woefully behind :(. I signed up for an ASL class last fall, but they didn't get enough participants to have it two different nights and they ended up having it on a church night so I couldn't go. This spring I can't possibly pull it off because of all the hours I'm working, so I am trying to learn it by book and video...and it's slow going :(. Does anyone know of any great resources to help me learn online...perhaps some captioned videos or websites? I only know about 30-something signs...and most of them are some that I learned thirty years ago and managed to retain. Not nearly enough to be able to use it to communicate, though! :( My goal is to someday learn enough to become certified as an interpreter...I know I have a long way to go, though, both in learning signs and being able to actually hear well enough to do the job!
Getting off here and headed to bed...I've been on the go so much lately that I am constantly tired...ugh! Hope everyone is having a great week and staying warm...love you all! :)

Comments

Popular Posts