One year ago today...

I woke up at my friend Shari's house, got dressed, and was at the surgical center in downtown Nashville at 6:30 AM. A couple of hours later, I was out like a light and my newest onboard computer was being installed. I woke up with an earache but it was quickly alleviated by some awesome pain meds and the nurses had me on my feet and out the door ASAP. I felt pretty good...in fact, we drove around Sonic on the way home for lunch.
I recovered quickly...I had a good bit of pain and soreness, but very little vertigo, which was a great thing in my book. Two weeks later I was switched on, and the rest, as they say, is history. I was able to not only hear but hear WELL straight out of the gate, with an incredible 96% speech comprehension in quiet score two weeks after activation. This implant has been incredible...in the past year it has simply given me my life back...plus more. I never dreamed I would hear as well as I do...some days I still hear tiny sounds and think, "I can't believe I'm hearing this!"...actually, MOST days I feel that way :). I can talk on the telephone...I can listen to the radio...I can hear music...I can hear my children talking to me all through the house. I am in awe nearly every single day at my gift of hearing...I definitely don't take this for granted...what a gift!
To all of you at Advanced Bionics...YOU ROCK...you have no idea what you have given me...not just hearing, but so much more...a second chance at life, as it were :). THANK YOU!!!!!
A shout out to my friend Wayne Roorda as well...BigBear, as many know him, had his bilateral surgery today! He seems to be recovering amazingly well...no pain at all, and feeling great! I am so thrilled for him!! :)

Comments

Popular Posts