Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The verdict is:

I checked on BlueCross' website tonight to see if my second CI's pre-authorization status was up yet. I've been checking just about every day...just out of curiosity, more than anything :) Tonight I checked, and the status was up: it has been denied. I'm fine with it...I was expecting that. There are a lot of folks that have trouble getting insurance to pay for one, let alone two, and the people that have two often have to fight tooth and nail with insurance companies before they are finally approved...and I haven't even had my first one a year yet. So I was fully expecting this denial. I e-mailed Susan and told her about it, so she'll know first thing in the morning, and she can move forward and do whatever it is they do to get the appeal process started. I'm just really grateful that right now I'm doing OK with my CI...that I have something. That was the whole purpose of the CI journey that I started a year ago...to give me SOMETHING just in case I lost it all. And it has all worked out beautifully; even though I don't hear much, I haven't had long periods of hearing nothing at all, and haven't had to resort to interpreters or sign language or any other really drastic measures. I have been able to live a basically normal life, and that's what I hoped for and prayed for. I say "Huh?" a lot (I need to take up "Beg pardon?", you think? not quite so hillbilly?) and am nowhere near talking on the telephone and still can't hear the little girls very well, but I can manage everyday situations with the help of my husband and kids...thanks be to God...I am so grateful :)
I was pretty disconcerted one day last week, though, when Ellie picked up the business end of a hot glue gun (I didn't know that Rachel had plugged it up). I was sitting right there in the room with her and didn't know that she was hurt until Katie jumped up. I looked up to see why Katie was jumping and saw Ellie screaming. I never heard it. Just one of those sounds that I haven't picked up yet (thankfully, she wasn't badly burned...she didn't even blister). Yes, there is potential for dangerous situations, so I have to watch a little more closely to make up for what I'm not hearing, but overall, I'm very blessed!
Today Katie and Ellie and I went to Goodwill and to Wal-Mart...I ran into Kroger to get some coffee because it was on sale...then after we picked the girls up from school I came home and puttered around the kitchen a while :) I made guacamole to go with our Mexican Pork Roast and then I started on some butter crescent rolls for tomorrow's dinner (will post that recipe very soon...it's upstairs and I'm too lazy to drag myself up there this time of the night). After dinner I took a quick walk over to my mother-in-law's to drop off Claire some clothes (she wanted to spend the night). I really need to get back into walking. I used to love to walk, but had kind of a bad experience a couple years back and I don't do it much anymore. I miss it, though...and it always energizes me. Maybe I need to get me a Walkman to keep me occupied and just do it anyway :) (I can't hear music, but I can pick out the beat of familiar songs, so it's worth a shot)!
Tomorrow's supposed to be sunny, and I plan to take advantage of it...I'll probably let Ellie play outside and get some sun at the same time :) If I get inspired enough, I'll work on yard sale stuff in the afternoon...I have so much to do, and just don't want to do it. It's looking like it will be June sometime before we get to it...our only open weekend for a yard sale was going to the 18th & 19th but there's no way I'll be ready by then...Hubby and I are going to San Antonio the next weekend, then we have a wedding the weekend after THAT....in the meantime, the yard sale stuff is piled up in the downstairs living room....UGH!
Gonna get off here and get to bed...first, here's a recipe for you: (thanks, Mom!) We had this tonight with guacamole, sour cream, and tortillas...and some leftover tamales...is it any wonder that I needed a walk (or was it a waddle?)?
Mexican Pork Roast

2 medium onions, chopped
2 carrots, pared and sliced
3 - 4 1/2 pound pork loin or shoulder roast
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon coriander
2 cups water
Place onions and carrots in crock pot. Rub pork roast with seasonings.
Place on top of vegetables; add water.
Cover and cook on Low setting for 10-12 hours.
Love to all.... <3

No comments: