A new beginning:

I don’t mind being wrong once in a while when it’s something this good.
My expectations were hovering somewhere around zero this morning. Super low. My past two experiences with my left ear left me pretty unenthusiastic about the initial turning on of my new ear. Past experiences showed that I usually didn’t hear much sound but just felt it, so I was prepared for pretty much nothing exciting. This time I felt it AND heard it.
I can distinguish different frequencies, can tell men’s voices and women’s voices apart, can hear the elevator ding and the blinker blink.
I didn’t hear the toilet flush and I had a mild vertigo attack in Kroger so we have a lot to work on.
I can’t understand words at all without lip reading so communication will continue to be an issue for a while. We have months, probably years of work to do to make this a good ear but I’m ready to do the work.
It was a really surreal experience going in completely deaf (my audiologist did wear one of the lip readers masks) and I didn’t understand a lot of what was going on, which was a little discombobulating, but all in all, a much better than anticipated day!
My daddy said, “I’m thankful that our Father has given people knowledge and ability to develop technology, that he has given doctors wonderful skills, and that both sides of your brain are working!!” and to that, I say Amen. He’s been very, very good to me.

Comments

Popular Posts